Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Feeding Time at the Zoo

Now that I live full time in the house, I'm starting to get used to the feeding routine. To summarize, we get fed soft food twice a day, and twice a day there is a feeding frenzy! The morning routine begins at about 5:00 a.m. Ha ha, the Old Guy is fast asleep at 5 a.m. But Pinot and I aren't. Pinot starts the morning by jumping up on the Old Guy's, ah well let's just say he jumps on him in a place that is sure to get his attention. Then he walks a few steps to the Old Guy's chest and starts pawing at his face. He usually gets a few scratches from the Old Guy before getting tossed off the bed. That's the signal for Pinot and I to start loud chase games. Chow, who sleeps between the Old Guy and Pretty Lady, joins in too. At 5:30 the alarm goes off, but the Old Guy doesn't get up until 6:15. While he gets dressed we surround him. Wherever he goes, we go. He starts coffee, then he looks for the cat food can. If he doesn't have any soft cat food in the house, he goes to the big stash in the garage. We follow him down and then back up. He jingles the silverware which is the signal that food is on its way. Then he pulls out 3 cat dishes. At that point in time, Pinot jumps up on the counter to help and try to poach a few bites. The Old Guy complains to him but doesn't knock him off the counter. Then he puts the three cat bowls on the floor of the kitchen: Chow on the left, Pinot on the right, and me separated by about 10 feet. When I first got to go in the house the Old Guy had to stand guard over me and my food because Chow and Pinot finish their food in like 3 bites and then start looking for more . . . usually in my direction. After about a week I learned that if I growl, hiss and swing a paw they leave my food alone. Needless to say, the Old Guy doesn't need to stand guard any more. After we finish, Pinot starts begging for dry food if the dry food bowl is empty. The Old Guy immediately fills the bowl. Like Chow, Pinot has the power.

In the evening Chow stands guard at the window. When he sees the Old Guy coming up the stair he gives the cat sign and we all come running. Thereafter, we follow the Old Guy around until he complies. After that it's bath time . . . we self bathe. Last night we helped the Old Guy build a surf board rack for Derek's room. More on that next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment