Thursday, July 30, 2009

Never Let the Old Guy Try to Fix Your Garage Door

I've got a lot of stories which happened before this one which I will go into later. But I wanted to tell about this one because it was so interesting.

There are these three things in the garage which Phil (the old guy) calls garage doors. Well, they're not like any garage doors I've ever seen before. These roll up on a roller outside of the garage and make horrible noises. Anyway, since I've lived here the noise in one of them has gotten progressively louder, with a couple of crashing noises thrown in. Last week Phil kept opening and closing the loud one. It would start with a "crash" "crash" "rumble rumble rumble" "crash" and then stop. Pretty much the same thing in reverse when he closed it. I watched him push a button, "crash, crash, rumble, bumble, rumble, crash, silence". Then Phil would say a bad word. Finally, after opening and closing it a lot of times, and running over to look at it closely, Phil got some tools out of the tool box . . . including a hammer. Then he would go back over, push the button, run to the garage door and as it opened he would hit parts of it with a hammer. He did this numerous times. After the numerous times, he would run the door and watch it. " Crash, crash, rumble, rumble, rumble, crash, silence" bad word. After trying this a few times he got out some kind of metal cutter and big pliers and hacked away at the door for a while. He tried the door, then hacked away. He'd try it again and hack away again. Finally, he did a real lot of hacking. The door was open . . . He pushed the button . . . the door started to close . . . the motor started to whine . . . the door jamed after closing only about a foot . . . the motor whined louder . . . Phil looked distressed . . . Phil started pushing the button, presumably to stop the door . . . the door whined on louder . . . the door motor groaned . . . then there was this huge crash, smash, crash . . . that seemed to go on for a while. The lights went out and the whole garage door mechanism came out of the wall and crashed to the ground outside the garage. I must tell you, it was pretty frightening. In fact I immediately jumped into the kitty litter and got low.

The next day a man came over and I heard Phil and him talking. He did a lot of measuring and I heard Phil say, "I don't care if we are tearing down the house, I want three new garage doors with openers . . . the doors that I have now suck!".

1 comment:

  1. HHAHAHAHAHA - soooo annoying prolly hilarious to witness. I wish I coulda been there for this!

    ReplyDelete