Monday, July 27, 2009

How (not) to Introduce a New Cat Into The Household

Phil (the old guy) told me he had found some great websites on how to domesticate a feral cat (more on these later) and how to introduce a new cat into a household which already has cats. One of the suggestions to allow the existing cats to get used to the scent of the new cat is to bring in an item with the new cat's scent on it and leave it in an area frequented by the existing cats. Phil bought me a new cat bed and decided to use my old cat bed to introduce my scent to his other cats, Chow Mein ("Chow Mein"? Where did he come up with a name like that?) and Pinot. So he takes my cat bed (I forget whether I had peed in it or not . . . I must have), and puts it up next to the cat bowls of Chow and Pinot. He scoops their favorite wet food into the bowls and sets them on each side of my cat bed. Chow and Pinot ran up to their food, sniffed my cat bed and then they both ran away. Neither one would come and eat until Phil removed my bed. Personally, I can't wait to meet the boys . . . I'm sure it will be an interesting day.

No comments:

Post a Comment